On June 11, 2005, CHDC celebrated the grand opening of Pullman Point (formerly the Richmond Townhouses) and the A. Philip Randolph Community Center with honored guests, live music, children’s activities and an afternoon Bar-B-Que.
This $27 million development resulted from a partnership between the John Stewart Company, Devine & Gong, Inc. and CHDC. Funding was provided by Citibank Community Development, the Enterprise Social Investment Corporation and the City of Richmond. The development was designed by the architectural firm of Kodama/Diseño.
The Richmond Townhouses, a 199 unit townhouse development, suffered from long term deferred maintenance and disrepair to major systems, and was at risk of losing its project-based Section 8 assistance. In 2003, the partnership purchased the property and began a substantial rehabilitation. The work included interior unit renovations, new peaked roofs, windows, siding, exterior paint, two elevators, community and maintenance buildings, lighting, security cameras, fencing, extensive landscaping and new play areas.
The property was renamed Pullman Point after the Pullman Company, which built, serviced, and repaired thousands of train cars in its nearby Richmond Repair Shops from 1910 to 1959. The community center is named after renowned labor leader A. Phillip Randolph, who fought successfully for the rights of African-American Pullman porters in Richmond and throughout the United States; founded the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters; and organized the 1963 March on Washington.